1-888-330-6264 mami@oblatesusa.org

Oblates Shine Our Lady's Light

Oblates Shine Our Lady’s Light

The Missionary Oblates are caretakers of a shrine in France where inspiration and healing have taken place since the Middle Ages.

The Shrine of Notre Dame De Lumiéres
(Our Lady of Lights) is about 50 miles north of Aix-en-Provence, the birthplace of the Missionary Oblates.  In 1819, the Oblates arrived at the shrine and have welcomed millions of pilgrims over the years to one of southern France’s most popular devotional sites.

The shrine is located in the village of Goult and Christian devotion there dates back to the fourth century when a chapel was dedicated to Our Lady.  The Cassian hermits who had their hermitages in the surrounding valleys used to assemble in the chapel to pray.

The chapel was abandoned and almost entirely destroyed as a result of the wars on religion in the 16th century.  In August of 1661, a miracle took place at the site which brought numerous pilgrims to Goult.

Antoine de Nantes, a 63-year-old farmer, had been a hardworking stonemason until he suffered a large hernia and was forced to wear a heavy iron corset.  He could barely walk but one day dragged himself to the vicinity of the venerated ruins.

Suddenly, he saw a great light and in the midst of that light the most beautiful child one could imagine.  Antoine reached out his arms but the vision disappeared.  At that very moment, he was cured of his hernia.  As a sign of appreciation toward the Blessed Virgin, the Christian people rebuilt the ancient chapel from its ruins.

Pilgrims came in crowds and many people reported healings after praying at the church.  During the French Revolution, the Carmelites who were responsible for the church were forced to leave, and the property was sold to the Lord of Goult.  Eventually the church was restored to a place of worship and in 1837 the Oblates purchased the property.

After a few years of making repairs to the run-down property, the Oblates reignited devotion to Notre Dame de Lumiéres by ministering to the faithful who came to the holy place from all parts of southern France and beyond. 

The annual number of pilgrims generally hovered around 50,000 with most coming in groups from parishes and schools.  A few thousand came every year for feasts of the Blessed Virgin celebrated August 15 and September 8.  More than 20,000 pilgrims were present at the feast of the crowning of the Virgin on July 30, 1864.

A special characteristic of these pilgrimages was that the main events took place at night, recalling the lights which were the original attraction for the flood of pilgrims.  There were torch-light processions, sermons, confession, open-air Masses, etc.

Notre Dame de Lumiéres also became an Oblate house of formation.  Known as the “second cradle” of the Oblates, thousands of seminarians would call the place home over the years and would eventually become missionaries throughout France and around the world.

With the number of men discerning a call to religious life on the decline, the seminarian program was closed around 1960.  The Oblates then focused their attention on receiving retreatants, helping children prepare for their confirmation, and hosting events like the 30-day De Mazenod Experience so Oblates and their lay collaborators can have a better understanding of the Oblate charism.

Today about 15 Oblate priests and brothers are assigned to Notre Dame de Lumiéres.  Some are retired while others continue to minister to pilgrims and help out at 16 nearby parishes.

And through their ministries, the Oblates at Notre Dame de Lumiéres continue to shine the light of Our Lady in order to brighten the lives of people in need.

Oblates Shine Our Lady's Light

Los Oblatos hacen Brillar la Luz de Nuestra Señora

Los Misioneros Oblatos están a cargo de un santuario en Francia, donde la inspiración y sanación han tenido lugar desde la Edad Media.

El Santuario de Notre Dame De Lumiéres (Nuestra Señora de las Luces) se encuentra a cerca de 80 km al norte de Aix-en-Provence, lugar de nacimiento de los Misioneros Oblatos.  Los Oblatos llegaron al santuario en 1819 y desde entonces han dado la bienvenida a millones de peregrinos a uno de los sitios devocionales más populares al sur de Francia.   

El Santuario, en la aldea Goult, de profesión católica, se remonta al Siglo IV, cuando se dedicó una capilla a Nuestra Señora.  Los ermitaños casianos en los valles que lo circundan, se reunían en la capilla para rezar.

En el Siglo XVI la capilla fue abandonada y casi destruida como resultado de las guerras por la religión.  En agosto de 1661 hubo un milagro en el lugar, que atrajo a numerosos peregrinos a Goult.

Antoine de Nantes, granjero de 63 años había sido albañil hasta que se le desarrolló una gran hernia y se vio forzado a usar un pesado corsé de hierro.  Caminaba con dificultad, pero un día llegó con mucho esfuerzo a las ruinas veneradas.

Repentinamente vio una gran luz y en medio de ella a la criatura más hermosa que uno pudiera imaginar. Antoine extendió los brazos, pero la visión desapareció.  En ese mismo momento quedó curado de la hernia. Como muestra de agradecimiento a la Santísima Virgen, los cristianos reconstruyeron la antigua capilla.

Llegaban multitudes de peregrinos y mucha gente dijo haber sido curada después de pedir en la iglesia.  Durante la Revolución Francesa, los Carmelitas, que estaban a cargo de la iglesia en ese entonces, se vieron forzados a irse, y la propiedad fue adquirida por el Señor de Goult.  Con el tiempo la iglesia fue restaurada como lugar de culto y los Oblatos compraron la propiedad en 1837.

Tras algunos años de reparación de la propiedad en desuso, los Oblatos reavivaron la devoción a Notre Dame de Lumiéres, a través de su ministerio con los fieles que llegaban al santo lugar de todas partes del sur de Francia y más allá.   

El número de peregrinos que llegaban cada año eran en promedio cerca de 50,000, la mayoría en grupos de parroquias y escuelas. Algunos miles se reunían cada año en las festividades de la Santísima Virgen el 15 de agosto y 8 de septiembre. Más de 20,000 peregrinos presenciaron la coronación de la Virgen el 30 de julio de 1864.  

Una característica especial de dichas peregrinaciones fue que los eventos principales eran en la noche, recordando las luces que originalmente atrajeron a los peregrinos. Había procesiones a la luz de antorchas, sermones, confesiones, Misas al aire libre, etc.

Notre Dame de Lumiéres también fue una casa de formación de los Oblatos. Conocida como la “segunda cuna” de los Oblatos, fue el hogar de miles de seminaristas a través de los años, quienes eventualmente serían misioneros en toda Francia y alrededor del mundo.

 En 1960 se cerró el programa del seminario debido a la disminución de jóvenes en discernimiento de una vida religiosa.   Los Oblatos centraron su atención a recibir personas para retiros, ayudar a niños en preparación para su Confirmación y albergar eventos como la Experiencia de Mazenod de casi 30 días, en la que los Oblatos y sus colaboradores laicos pueden conocer más del carisma Oblato.

Hoy en día cerca de 15 sacerdotes y hermanos Oblatos se encuentran en Notre Dame de Lumiéres.  Algunos se encuentran retirados, mientras otros siguen su ministerio con los peregrinos y ayudan en las 16 parroquias cercanas.

A través de su ministerio, los Oblatos en Notre Dame de Lumiéres continúan manteniendo la luz brillante de nuestra Señora, para poder iluminar las vidas de quienes lo necesitan.